Thursday, January 15, 2015

Buy Once Buy Well







As we begin the New Year I'm ready to start putting my business and personal goals into action. I have also started a daily gratitude journal to remind myself of all that I'm grateful for. What definitely tops my list is how truly blessed I am that I get to do what I love every single day. I thought what better way to show my gratitude - to share what I have learnt along the way. (Wow did that rhyme!? I can never get anything to rhyme)

If I could say what I have learnt most in decorating, its how much more I have to learn. We always need to keep striving to be better, more innovative and to stay true to our design aesthetic. Not everyone needs to love your style. If you copy and try to duplicate other designers work, not only does it not work, it looks obvious and can lack soul. Instead, I have learnt to look at a space I love and take elements about that space that inspires me and add my own interpretation. Another rule I have learnt to make a room look beautiful is to try and avoid making it look like a catalogue. If I do buy a generic chair, I always re-upholster or perhaps repaint with new hardware. Sometimes the budget doesn't always fit antique pieces, but where possible try to mix old with new, its keeps the space interesting, unique and beautiful.

Above all 'buy less but buy well'. A very good friend Jo who has amazing style, once told me many years ago to buy once but buy well. When she was younger and her budget was tight she would find a beautiful lamp, vase or piece of furniture that was way out of her budget, but she refused to believe it wasn't attainable, she never ruled it out. Instead she would save her pennies until she could afford it. You can guarantee today she still has the same pieces and they still look current and beautiful. I have followed her advice, better late then never and I totally agree...do it right the first time, it may take longer but you will love it for a lifetime!

Judy x


7 comments:

  1. Perfectly said and so true. And buy only what you Loveand you will always find a place for it in your home. Your store entrance looks beautiful. There's nothing better than blue and white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Wendy, I can never get enough of blue and white x

      Delete
    2. Totally agree...blue & white u can't go wrong !

      Delete
  2. I could´t agree more , some times the better choices are made once. Have a nice weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such a talent for beautiful arrangements - such a fresh twist on blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post, excellent advice! I adore this antique chandelier.
    Natasha Kalita Design

    ReplyDelete